Father's Day is this weekend. Here are some great gift ideas and activities to show him you care.
Activities for those who like going out
Many older adults enjoy activities like golfing, fishing, or bowling. And don’t forget about low-key activities like mini golf, horseshoes, bird watching, or lawn bowling. Another good option for sports fans is to enjoy a live game together.
- Take a walk through nature – in the park, on an easy hiking trail, or through the neighborhood.
- Visit a local museum, photography exhibit, or well-known sightseeing spot.
- Attend a local car show – classic cars, muscle cars, or whatever revs their engine!
- Go to a history-themed event. Some people might be interested in something like these Civil War exhibits or reenactments.
- Treat him to an old-fashioned professional shave!
- Stroll through an indoor shopping center. It’s a pleasant, air-conditioned place to chat, people watch, and do a little shopping. Plus, there are plenty of bathrooms and seating areas.
Activities for those who enjoy staying in
It’s not always easy for older adults to leave the house. For those who prefer to stay in, there are a number of fun activities you can try.
- Watch their favorite sports on TV with plenty of tasty snacks.
- Get family or a few of his buddies together for a poker game.
- Invite family and friends for a relaxed get together. Have a potluck meal or backyard BBQ!
- Bring home a takeout meal from his favorite restaurant.
- Watch an old favorite movie or a new release he’s sure to enjoy.
- Play cards or a board game together.
Thoughtful, senior-friendly gift ideas
It’s always nice to receive a thoughtful gift. Here are some your older adult is sure to love.
- A few novels or audio-books by his favorite author or on a favorite topic
- A new deck of large-print playing cards
- History-themed gifts: books, movies or documentaries
- Music! Check out our picks for every age group from 65 to 90+
- A comfy pair of non-slip house slippers
- Buy him a meal delivery or meal prep service like Chefs for Seniors that we featured last week.
- Subscription to My Grandbox: Grandbox is a monthly subscription box just for seniors. The company selects a few gifts each month like puzzles, snacks, and toiletries, and lets you include personal photos and letters in each shipment. $33 per month.
Original content featured at http://dailycaring.com/celebrate-fathers-day-with-18-activities-for-seniors/